We've Proudly Served Rockford Since 1928
Three generations ago, Martin Gustafson founded Gustafson's Furniture and Mattress in a small shop on 7th Street in Rockford, Illinois. When the store opened on Feb. 14, 1928, they also sold vacuums, small appliances, Maytag washers and dryers, and furniture door to door.
The 90+ years since then have been a story of continued growth to fulfill the needs of our customers:
- In 1959 the business moved to a larger, 9,000-square-foot store on 7th Street, still selling furniture, appliances, and gifts.
- In 1999 continued growth required a move to North Town Shopping Center, where Gustafson's took over the former Bergners department store location. We quickly filled the 90,000-square-foot location with furniture, mattresses, linens, area rugs, and accessories.
- On May 7, 2015, we opened a second location on East State Street after remodeling, repainting, and re-lighting the former American store.
- In 2017, after two amazingly successful years at our East State Street location, we decided to expand it to move both stores under one roof and expand our warehouse.
- On Sept. 30, 2018, we closed the doors on our Riverside location so we could focus all our efforts on growing East State Street.
Throughout the three generations that Gustafson's Furniture and Mattress has been family owned and operated, we've offered our customers a personal furniture shopping experience. It includes:
- The best prices available through the 500-store purchasing power of our buying group, Furniture First
- Local delivery
- In-store interior design services
- No 800 numbers
- A member of management available in the store 360 days of the year
- Off-site skilled upholstery repair technicians and woodworking personnel who can quickly and efficiently help with any customer requests